As a foodie, you might be pretty much aware of the benefits of Portobello which is not only low in sodium and cholesterol but is an excellent source of dietary fibre and protein. Moreover, for vegans out there Portobello stands as their answer to meat. Well, these things make it an excellent recipe over your grill. Portobello burger serves as a great nutritional food and when smoked over the grill, its essence is stepped up further to a different level of delight. Let us take a tour of an insight into a smoked Portobello recipe using an electric smoker.
Total time required
Preparing the recipe would require a mere 30 minutes on the grill. However, mushrooms need to be marinated overnight.
Good to know what your food does to your body. So, here is the guide to some nutritional information:
- Calorie count at 164 per serving
- 16 grams of Carbohydrates
- 9g of fat
- 5g of protein
Apparently, the recipe sounds pretty healthy.
Things you would need
Set aside the following for a smooth culinary tour:
- 4 hamburger buns, preferably whole wheat
- Char broil electric smoker
- Fill two tablespoons with olive oil(extra virgin)
- And, two with wine vinegar
- Sliced tomatoes
- 4 medium sized Portobello mushrooms(remove the stems), the soul of the recipe
- Some butter lettuce leaves
- Half a tablespoon of salt
- Another half of ground pepper
- Some cheese
With these ready, you are all set to proceed further with the cooking process.
The cooking procedure
Follow these steps:
- Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, pepper and salt in a bowl. Grab the Portobello mushrooms and use this marinade over them. Leave the contents to marinate overnight.
- Prepare your electric grill for the smoking process.
- When the smoker is ready, oil the grate. On this, place the Portobello mushrooms on the grill with their gill-sides facing upward.
- Carefully lower the lid and let the contents smoke for about ten minutes.
- After ten minutes have passed, open the lid and turn the mushrooms over.
- Lower the lid and let the contents smoke for about ten more minutes.
- A tip: Use hot zones on the grill to sear the food while the cold zones could allow for the food to stand.
- If you plan on using cheese, consider flipping over the mushrooms again on the grill and this time fill in some cheese. Grill again, closing the lid until cheese melts.
- With the aforementioned steps followed, your Portobello mushrooms are ready.
- Use hamburger buns now and garnish with sliced tomatoes, lettuce and some of your favourite spices.
Do remember to serve Portobello mushrooms immediately after they are taken off the grill. Also, take care not to overcook for the mushroom tends to shrink.
Your spongy mushroom burger would thus make a great easy to make and succulent delicacy. Who says the vegetarian food is not tasty? Well, don’t just sit there; get your mushrooms ready!